Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Live and Learn

"Oi!

Well, this past week was a lot better. I learned a lot! My companionship became a lot better when I learned this simple lesson...that I need to know the true character of a person, and then make the decision to look at him as though he were the person he one day could be. This was what I did with Elder Damasceno and everything changed for the better. His pride is obvious, but it isn't an obstacle for our companionship anymore.

First off, I'll try my best to get a letter out to both Cory and Chaz. You've already perceived the humongous pressure to baptize and have other high key indicators here. I believe that is the biggest reason why letters...for at least the past 10 months since I became senior...have become scarce. I feel like I've done what Pres. Hinckley was counseled to do..forget yourself and go to work, and "turning off" from your personal committments back home ( as it says in Portuguese) is essential to diving into the work. And, I have to say that I don't feel toooooo bad, because you have the blog up and they can look at it whenever they like. Also, this area doesn't have a post office, so it's twice as hard. Also, I have only what...6 months left. But, I'll be better with letters.

So, we marked the baptism of Ivonete and Raimundo. They have to get married first so they won't get baptized until the 23rd of May. We're working with many other families and we have great hopes for them. This ward has an excellent bishop which is a huge help.

I also want you to know how far our money is going in this mission. This past month the allowance has been late, so this last district meeting two elders, separately without the knowledge of the other, pulled me aside and asked me for money to get the bus home. I gave it to them, of course, to one I gave even more and told him to use it throughout the week. Our money was the only reason that the water and lights weren't turned off at our apartment in Rio Claro, because I was able to pay the outrageous bills when the city upped the taxes. I bought medication for Elder Santana and then two months later for Elder Barreto. And, of course, everyone is benefitting from the sweets you send. I thought you might find it interesting. It really became apparent yesterday when I gave the two elders bus passes.

I liked the idea of Jason working with you a lot! And, I laughed to hear that the squirrel is still there. and I remember very well when I played the accordion for grandma's aunt. That is a very special memory.

I'm happy and we're working hard. I love you all! Ate mais!"

Elder Christian Larsen

No comments: