Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trials of a Missionary

"We didn't have a baptism Saturday. We were hoping for one, but the young man's mother wouldn't give him permission. But get this...this is wierd. This guy, Flavio, stopped us on the street and asked us to teach him. We went and taught him, but his brother is freaky and we can't teach him around his brother, so we have to teach him in the chapel. At our first lesson with him he gave us each a tie. At that lesson we found out he was imprisoned until last September for car theft. He came to church on Sunday and liked it and we taught him in the chapel afterwards. We scheduled another lesson with him for Monday at the chapel, but he didn't show up. Acutally he did, 15 min. early to give the BOM to our neighbor to give back to us. What the heck! Well, we still have hope for him.

Oh, my English is terrible now! I think I'm in the phase where its hard to communicate with anybody...in Portuguese or English. It must be a transition. My goal for Portuguese now is to speak slower and more distinctly. The worst thing about being with Elder Larsen is that everyone notices how good he is and how bad I am in comparison. I will improve.

We're excited about the Mother's Day call. Next Sunday, the 4th you'll do a test call. I'll answer for his parents and my companion will answer for me. You will have to call the bishop's house at 5 pm your time which is 8 pm here. This will only take a few minutes, but we have found this to be the best. At Christmas Elder Larsen waited for two hours for his parents to call because of some misunderstanding. Then, the real call will take place on the following Sunday at a time we determine. You should call his parents for more information. They know the drill.

If anybody is anxious about me writing them, tell them I will, in due time. We are SUPER busy and stressed, so honestly, I do my best. I really care about everyone and am so grateful for each and every letter. Please don't stop writing, because I don't get back to you right a way. It's pretty hectic here!

Thanks so much for fasting for us. Because of that, our zone leaders scheduled a baptism for May 17th with a guy who lives in our area. (I saved the best for last). We haven't found the house yet, but we will keep looking. Pray that this will hold true!

Elder Christian Larsen

No comments: